Being SMU’s first full sports scholarship, the Yip Pin Xiu Scholarship is designed to honour excellence in sports and the values that Yip Pin Xiu stands for. Besides Pin Xiu’s impeccable sports achievements, she has demonstrated hard work, dedication, resilience at the highest levels, humility and leadership, both in and out of the classroom. The scholarship also delivers on SMU’s promise of a holistic education and hopes to attract students with sports excellence at the international level. Pin Xiu is an inspiration to us all and thus the scholarship is named after her.
“I want to give back to society and help the future generation of athletes. Other than showing others what sports can do, I hope to create more awareness that ‘disabled does not mean unabled’ and also to inspire others around me .” – Pin Xiu
Pin Xiu, currently a final-year undergraduate at the SMU School of Social Sciences, was born with Marie Charcot Tooth, a degenerative condition that weakens muscles. Despite losing her ability to walk at the age of 13, Pin Xiu was determined to excel in her sport of swimming. She garnered her first gold medal at the Beijing 2008 Summer Paralympics and was the first para athlete to be inducted into Singapore’s Sports Hall of Fame in 2015. Today, she is a three-time Paralympics gold medallist and world record holder of the 50m and 100m backstroke (S2) category. Pin Xiu is living proof that one’s physical limitations do not define a person.
- Be Singapore Citizens
- Possess good academic results
- Demonstrate strong leadership capabilities and potential
- Be outstanding athletes who have excelled in sports at the international level and with the potential and plans to continue to represent Singapore and achieve further glory. These include those who have been awarded a medal at the SEA Games and/or are projected (by their respective National Sports Association) to have a podium finish, minimally at the SEA Games and/or at the other Major Games or equivalent competition
- Have gained admission to a full-time undergraduate degree programme at SMU
- Tuition fee waiver (after MOE tuition grant subsidy)
- Growth opportunities allowance of S$12,000 to fund part or combination of the following:
- Overseas Community Service Projects (compulsory),
- Global Exposure opportunities that include Overseas Student Exchanges / Summer Programmes, School Study Missions
- Case Competitions
- Presentations at Conferences
- Participation in development opportunities offered by the Centre for Scholars’ Development
- Scholarship is bond-free
- For a full list of our SMU administered scholarships, click here
- For a list of our Scholarships / Financial Aid offered by external organisations, click here
- Application for scholarships is to be made at the same time as your application for admission to SMU. Click here to apply to SMU.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to SMU for a panel interview.
(applicants seeking admissions)
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Tel: +65 6828 0980
Fax: +65 6828 0303
Scholarship / Award Enquiries
(students enrolled in SMU)
Centre for Student Financial Assistance
Contact CSFA for Tuition Fee Loan, Study Loan, SMU Education Loan, Student Computer Loan, Bursaries and all other financial assistance schemes.
Tel: +65 6828 0264 / 6828 0486 / 6828 9556 / 6808 5199 / 6828 0453 / 6828 0501 / 6828 0160
Fax: +65 6828 0647
Office of Finance (OFN)
Contact OFN for CPF Education Scheme, Mendaki Tertiary Tuition Fee Subsidy Scheme, and Post-Secondary Education Account.
More information on Student Financial Assistance Schemes, please click here.