Students With International Qualifications
Application Procedure for International and Other Qualifications
Step 1: Before You Apply
Please check your application category:
- For applicants applying with Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level, please click here.
- For applicants applying with Polytechnic Diploma in Singapore, please click here.
- For applicants applying with IB Diploma, please click here.
- For applicants applying with NUS High School Diploma, please click here.
- For transfer applicants applying with local qualifications, please click here.
- For applicants applying with international qualifications, please read on.
Be at least 18 years of age by the commencement of the freshman academic year
A minimum of 12 years of formal education with good passes in a national/international examination that is recognised for the purpose of admission.
Applicants taking their respective high school examinations between January and May 2017 must submit/upload online their actual results within 3 working days after the release of the results.
Please click here for a list of international qualifications that are recognised by SMU for admission to undergraduate degree programmes.
Additional Information on Interviews / Writing Tests
Interview is conducted for shortlisted applicants. Law shortlisted applicants must also take a writing test. Some schools may require applicants to take additional tests.
Interviews and writing tests for shortlisted Law applicants are conducted in the month of April. Click here for important information on this.
Shortlisted applicants, including those who are not residing in Singapore, are required to attend face-to-face interviews at SMU campus. As such, under normal circumstances, the Lee Kong Chian School of Business (LKCSB) does not conduct telephone/Skype interviews.
Additional Information on SAT / ACT / IELTS / TOEFL
Applicants with LASALLE/NAFA/NIE/IB diplomas are NOT REQUIRED to submit SAT/ACT/IELTS/TOEFL.
To be considered in the 2017 admissions exercise, applicants must take the SAT/ ACT/ IELTS/ TOEFL by 26 March 2017 and submit the test scores to SMU by 31 March 2017. Tests taken after 26 March 2017 will not be considered. You are strongly encouraged to take the test early.
This group of applicants are required to submit one of the following for consideration:
- SAT (previously known as SAT I or SAT Reasoning)
- ACT (American College Test), including the Writing Test
- SAT (old SAT - before March 2016) : A minimum total score of 1,900 with at least 600 each for critical reading and writing
- SAT (new SAT - from March 2016) : A minimum total score of 1,350 with at least 650 each for evidence-based reading and writing. Essay is not required
- ACT : A minimum composite score 29, with at least 27 each for both reading and writing
- IELTS : A minimum overall score of 7.0 with reading score of at least 7.0 and writing score of at least 6.5
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) : A minimum score of 93, with at least 22 each for both reading and writing
- TOEFL PBT (paper-based test) : A minimum score of 583, with at least 5.5 for TWE (Test of Written English) and 50 for reading
Note: The minimum scores indicated above for non-law applicants will be minimally sufficient for applicants to make a competitive application. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee an admission into SMU, as admission is on a highly competitive and selective basis.
- SAT (old SAT - before March 2016) : A minimum total score of 1,900 with a combined score of 1,400 for critical reading and writing
- SAT (new SAT - from March 2016) : A minimum total score of 1,350 with at least 700 each for evidence-based reading and writing. Essay is not required
- ACT : A minimum composite score 29 and a writing score of at least 32
- IELTS : A minimum overall score of 7.5 with at least 7.0 each for both reading and writing
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) : A minimum score of 100, with at least 24 each for both reading and writing
- TOEFL PBT (paper-based test) : A minimum score of 600, with at least 5.5 for TWE (Test of Written English) and 50 for reading
Note: The minimum scores indicated above for law applicants will be minimally sufficient for applicants to make a competitive application. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee an admission into SMU, as admission is on a highly competitive and selective basis
- SAT/ ACT scores are valid for 5 years. For the 2017 admissions exercise, scores from tests taken before 26 March 2012 will not be considered.
- IELTS/ TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years. For the 2017 admissions exercise, scores from tests taken before 26 March 2015 will not be considered.
To avoid delays in application processing, you are strongly encouraged to apply to have their scores sent directly to SMU by the respective testing boards. The SMU Institution/Destination Codes are as follows:
- SAT : 2861
- ACT : 5284
- TOEFL : 9014
A good number of courses in the Accountancy and Economics programmes are of a highly quantitative nature. As such, applicants are expected to meet additional requirements in the form of a good score in Mathematics at high school level. Applicants who do not have this requirement can still apply for consideration if they have alternative Mathematics content background. The School of Accountancy and School of Economics make the final decision on admission.
Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Requirement
All Singaporeans and Permanent Residents must meet the MTL requirement. The MTL requirement can be fulfilled through one of the following:
- a D7 grade for Higher MTL at Singapore-Cambridge GCE O-Level
- a pass in MTL 'B', or an 'S' grade for H1 MTL/ MTL-in-lieu, or H2 MTL Language and Literature, or H1 General Studies in Chinese at Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level
- a pass in MTL 'A': Literature, or MTL 'A': Language and Literature, or Language 'B' MTL at Standard or Higher Level at International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- a pass in MTL-in-lieu subject approved by Ministry of Education, Singapore
- an exemption from MTL approved by Ministry of Education, Singapore
Successful applicants who have not met the MTL requirement will be offered Conditional Admission and are required to satisfy this requirement before graduating from SMU.
Tel : (+65) 6828 0980
Walk-in Available During Office Hours : Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5.45pm
Closed on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays
After You Have Created An Account
If you have created an account previously, please click here to continue, complete or submit your application.Existing Application
Applicant's Self Service
If you have submitted an application in this current application year, please use the Applicant's Self Service functions to print your Checklist Summary, upload supporting documents, update your contact information, make online payment or check your application status.
To login, please include ".apply" in your UserID.
Regional SMU Representatives
Wish to speak to a SMU Representative in your country?